Thursday, September 30, 2010

Family by choice...

I was talking to an old friend tonight. I am looking forward to seeing her and her extended family tomorrow to mourn her dad's death and celebrate his memory. It made me think of some of my favorite people who have impacted my life and who I look forward to seeing again in heaven. She and I were also realizing tonight that there are some things that people [in our families] just don't get. Often family can't see the forest through the trees. Because of their blindness, they let you down over and over and over. She and I were both amazed at how blood can mean so little and how our true family- those in our hearts- are the chosen family that have ended up in our lives through a variety of circumstances (birth and blood being one, marriage and friendship also being some of the routes) are the ones that buoy and encourage us through the most challenging times.

When we hung up the phone, something struck me that I will share with her tomorrow. How awesome is it that our Heavenly Father loves us! And that He chooses to allow us to be a part of His family. He doesn't force it. Yet He invites us in as His children by grace through faith. Our blood ties have nothing to do with it, however His blood was spilled for it. All as a gift- given freely without strings. He gives it to us because we are part of His chosen family- wanted, loved and redeemed!

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not die but have eternal life. John 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment