Thursday, June 17, 2010

Endings and beginnings...

Good things must end so new things can have a chance to start. It happens with hours, days and nights, months, seasons and so many concepts of time. It happens in relationships sometimes in the form of ending, other times in the reality of change and growth. Some of these things we enjoy watching like flowers blooming in spring and leaves changing colors in fall. Other times we dread it.

Teaching is a profession where we get to witness constant change. Children come in to you at one stage and leave in a different one. One of the things that marks profoundly the end of your time with that class is the cleaning of your room, finishing report cards, making your honors list, and sending final papers home. Today I finished all that for my group.

It is a day that brings some sadness. I had this group for the last two years in some capacity, either as their primary teacher or a significant member of their team. Earlier this year as I was enjoying my small class, the other teacher chose to leave her position. This brought some significant change as my class grew from 13 to 27 students. It was an experience I couldn't seem to help but fear.

The amazing part was finding God within it all! I was blessed to see my heart grow as it filled with a teacher's love for each individual, my ability as a teacher stretch and grow as I planned and carried out activities, and my faith continue to expand as the Lord blessed every moment with the children. I realized part way in that God had given me a gift through that human-made situation... every morning I faced my students with the excitement of facing a wrapped present waiting to be opened, every evening I looked back with the joy and satisfaction of having truly enjoyed the gift itself! Having this come to an end has brought me such mixed feelings.

But their are always the beginnings that follow the endings. I was able to think of the fun we had doing many projects and look forward to implementing them again. Other activities will be shelved, probably not to be repeated soon. Some newly promoted students made sure to wave from daycare, and a new to the school student stopped by for a visit. The excitement and anticipation will be building as I take the time to enjoy the summer!

And for each of my littles, I hope you remember...Jesus loves you and so do I!

No comments:

Post a Comment