Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Fadazzling Toenails... The art of the family pedicure

My guilty pleasure of me time is my bi-annual pedicure at the salon. It usually happens right before school starts and right when it ends. My little piece of heaven. However as my kids get older, they have begun to think of those pedicures as "we" time rather than my "me" time. Tonight I found a fun solution to that. I went to Walmart and got all kinds of pedicure stuff. Files, clippers, trimmers, push things, and a bunch of nail polish colors.

When we got home, I got out a plastic tub, filled it with warm, soapy water and stuck Little Man's feet right in. Then one at a time I took them out, dried them, trimmed, pushed, and filed them. Next was my Lovely Lady's turn. We stuck her feet in the tub with a new batch of warm, soapy water. Then one at a time I took them out, dried them, trimmed, pushed, and filed them. She had picked her colors, cherub and chartreuse shimmer otherwise known as pink and green. We did her big, middle and pinky toes green. Her remaining toes got the sheerest pink.

Then it was my turn. I stuck my big ole' boats in the tub, filled with a new batch of warm soapy water. Then one at a time, they were taken out for the drying, trimming, filing, and pushing. However, the excitement was increasing as I pondered over my color choice. They expressed their thoughts of combinations. Mostly however, they were articulating their desire to paint my nails for me. Little Man carefully did my big toes, with Lovely Lady filling any missed spots. Then Lovely Lady did my remaining four smaller nails on each foot. Now I had to choose my color. I decided on a beautifully aquamarine shimmer, BonBons #0113. Carefully I spread it over my nails. First coat dried, then second coat. While shimmery aquamarine toenails might be enough for most 30 something moms, my children continued to encourage me. We top coated with Cosmos, a clear coat filled with fine glitter in a silvertone and larger flakes of star shaped glitter in a complimentary blue green. Little Man looked carefully at each one, then at me and stated matter-of-factly "They are fadazzling Mommy! They are fantastic and dazzling all in one!"

So here I sit. Toe seperators carefully removed, shimmery aquamarine toenails, covered in sparkles and glitter. The children are now asleep, I am having my "me' time. I reflect back on my evening realizing that this pedicure filled with "we" time blew away any others I have ever had. In the words of Little Man, my evening was "fadazzling" it was "fantastic and dazzling all in one!"

No comments:

Post a Comment